Mason Jar love...

I have always loved mason jars and have collected them for years, and now my daughter loves them too - so my collection has diminished somewhat! :)  I'm always intrigued to see how people have found so many different ways to use them. 

The mason jar was invented and patented by John Landis Mason, a Philadelphia tinsmith in 1858. Mason jars are made of soda-lime glass.  While some are worth just a few dollars, some have sold for as high as $30,000.  Coloured jars were considered better for canning, as they block some light from reaching the food, which helps retain flavor and nutritional value longer.


I have a large one filled with marbles, collected from my childhood and that of my husband's. I love how they catch the light when the sun comes through!















 

Images via Pinterest.

1 comment:

  1. I love Mason jars too.......and have several in my kitchen holding flour, sugar, brown sugar, well, you get the idea. Thanks for sharing your pics....was fun to look at.
    I've just run across your blog and enjoyed it so that I've just become your most recent follower. Im new to blogland, only 3 weeks in, so please come visit me and maybe you'll follow me too. 8-)

    ReplyDelete